Thanks for stopping by! If you try a recipe let me know what you think of it!

Please let me know of any changes you made or suggestions you have.

Friday, October 29, 2010

Chicken Cacciatore

Original recipe found here.

I have come to a point where I am starting to try recipes of foods that I have never tasted before.  Because of this, I do not know if this tastes the way it is supposed to!  However, I can tell you it was very good.  I was a little hesitant when I made the sauce to put in the slow cooker, the wine taste was extremely strong.  While I was at the grocery store, I had looked up dry wine on my phone.  It suggested Pinot Grigio.  Thankfully, the wine flavor did cook down and the dish tasted fantastic!  

This recipe is a little more time consuming.  Because of this, in the future I would make 2 batches...one for the slow cooker and one for the freezer to have on hand.

Ingredients:
1 pound chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup white flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup olive oil
1 onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half
1 small can tomato paste
1 cup white wine
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon marjoram
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 bay leaf
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 green bell pepper, chopped

Add flour salt and pepper into a bag.  Throw in chicken cubes, seal bag and shake to coat with flour.  Put olive oil in frying pan and heat.  Add in chicken and stir immediately to avoid sticking together.  Brown on each side and remove with slotted spoon.  Add in slow cooker.

Turn oil down to medium heat, and add in onions and garlic.  Saute until translucent and fragrant.  Remove with a slotted spoon and add to blender.  Combine with wine, chicken broth,tomato paste, thyme, and marjoram.  Blend until smooth.  Add to slow cooker. 

Cook on medium high for 4-5 hours.  About 30 minutes before you are going to serve, add in mushrooms and green peppers.  Serve over a thin pasta, I used angel hair.  Garnish with parsley and Parmesan cheese.

1 comment: