Thanks for stopping by! If you try a recipe let me know what you think of it!

Please let me know of any changes you made or suggestions you have.

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Split Pea with Ham

Original recipe found here
 Split pea is my favorite soup.  Fall is coming, so I found it appropriate to cook a pot.  Enjoy this recipe!  I am not a big fan of ham on the bone, so I cut it off the frozen ham hawk I had.  Please feel free to throw in a ham hawk if desired.

Ingredients:
1 (16 oz.) pkg. dried green split peas, rinsed
2 cups diced ham
3 carrots, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 ribs of celery plus leaves, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 bay leaf
2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
Salt & Pepper to taste
6 cups hot water


Layer ingredients in slow cooker in the order given; pour in water. Do not stir ingredients. Cover and cook on HIGH 4 to 5 hours or on low 8 to 10 hours until peas are very soft. Remove bay leaf. Mash peas to thicken more, if desired.  Freezes well.

No comments:

Post a Comment