Thanks for stopping by! If you try a recipe let me know what you think of it!

Please let me know of any changes you made or suggestions you have.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake (the best cake ever)

Original recipe found here


I have had this recipe book marked on my computer for two years now.  Everyone once and awhile I would click it, hoping that someone would make it for me someday....that never happened.  Then my birthday came around and I am doing this blog, so I decided that I would go ahead and make it for myself.  Seemed like a good enough excuse.  This is by far the BEST cake I have ever had.
I put it off for so long because it looked extremely intimidating.  Go ahead and try it next time you are making a cake.  I promise, it really isn't hard!  Remember to keep all of your ingredients organized.  That will be the most important factor in successfully completing this cake.  If you decide to try it good luck, it is worth the work!! =)

Cake Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup neutral vegetable oil
1 cup sour cream (I used light)
1 1/2 cups water
2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs

The cake will make 9 in triple layer cake.  Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper after buttering the sides and bottom. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.  Once sifted, whisk together.  Add oil and sour cream and blend together.  Gradually add water, then vanilla and vinegar.  Beat in eggs one at a time.  Make sure to scrape the sides and mix.

Disperse evenly into your 9 in cake pans.  Bake for around 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Once you remove from the oven, put on a wire rack and let cool.  I highly suggest freezing the cake.  It will be a lot easier to frost.  I froze mine overnight (I had a lot going on).

Ingredients for Peanut Butter Frosting:
10 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
5 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
2/3 cup smooth peanut butter

In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Gradually add the confectioners’ sugar 1 cup at a time, mixing thoroughly after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl often. Continue to beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes.  Add the peanut butter and beat until thoroughly blended.

Frost the cake by adding a large scoop of peanut butter frosting on top of the first layer.  Spread evenly and top with a second layer.  Again add a large scoop of peanut butter frosting and spread evenly, top with final layer.  Since this is a dark cake with a light frosting, use a crumb layer for the frosting.  Spread a very thin layer around the outside and top of cake.  If crumbs get into the frosting, no big deal because you will later cover with a thicker layer of frosting.  Once the thin layer is done, use the rest of the frosting and spread evenly.
 



Ingredients for Chocolate Peanut Butter Glaze:
8 ounces seimsweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
3 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/2 cup half-and-half

In the top of d double boiler or in a bowl set over simmering water, combine the chocolate, peanut butter, and corn syrup. Cook, whisking often, until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth. Remove from the heat and whisk in the half-and-half, beating until smooth. Use while still warm.  I let mine cool a little bit to thicken up so it wouldn't run right off the cake.

Pour into the middle of the top of a cake.  Use a knife to help force the glaze off the side a little bit.

1 comment:

  1. This is soooooo good! I can't wait to try to make it myself!

    ReplyDelete